The following links to organisations and places might be of interest to anyone visiting the Montgomery Canal and surrounding areas.
Please note, as these websites are hosted and maintained by third party organisations, we are not responsible for the content of these websites. We have devided the links into those about canals, local tourist information and commercial websites.
Canals and canal restoration
- Canal & River Trust – the national charity responsible for most waterways of England and Wales. The Trust is supported by the North Wales & Borders Partnership and has a separate board, Bŵrdd Glandŵr Cymru, for its canals in Wales.
- Montgomery Waterway Restoration Trust – established in 1980 to co-ordinate the interests of voluntary and public organisations interested in the future of the Montgomery Canal.
- Inland Waterways Association, Shrewsbury & North Wales – the local branch of the national charity which supports canal projects across the area, attending rallies and festivals, with an active programme of meetings and events.
- Heulwen Trust – the first boat to provide trips for disabled people was launched by HRH The Prince of Wales in Welshpool in 1975.
- Shropshire Union Canal Society – Society volunteers have worked on canal projects since restoration started and its monthly working parties are actively involved in the Lottery-funded restoration of the next section of the canal to Crickheath.
- Waterway Recovery Group – volunteers from WRG work on canal projects across the country: achievements on the Montgomery Canal include the restoration of Frankton and Aston Locks, the nature reserve by Aston Top Lock, and more recent work on the dry section in the village of Pant.
- Pete’s Montgomery Canal Photo-Site – this website gives a section by section look at the Montgomery canal through photographs.
Local tourist information
Each of the organisations below have paid us to share their link to show their support for the Montgomery Canal.
If your organisation would like to feature in this list, we can list you for a minimum donation of £25 per year. Please email us at email@example.com.