The Montgomery Canal joins the popular Llangollen Canal at Frankton Junction and is therefore easily accessible to boats from across the UK and, in particular, those hire boats which start their journeys from places such as Ellesmere, Whitchurch or Llangollen.
Both the Montgomery Canal and the Llangollen canal cross between Wales and England and are situated in an area rich with impressive landscapes, market towns and wildlife.
A two week hire from the marinas on these canals would allow you to take in not only the beautiful Monty, but also the world famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, the highest canal aqueduct in the world, standing at 38 meters above the River Dee.
The Montgomery Canal itself can be accessed by boats on the main canal network at Frankton Junction where the Montgomery Canal meets the Llangollen Canal.
Frankton Locks are only open from 12 noon to 2pm so it is important that you book your passage in advance. This can be done via the Canal & River Trust website or by calling Monday to Friday on 0303 040 4040.
As a beautiful canal, access is limited to 12 boats per day, with a minimum of a one night stay and a maximum of 14 nights.
As a guide only, maximum boat dimensions are:
- Length 21.95m (72ft)
- Width 2.13m (7ft)
- Draught 1.2m (3ft 11’’)
- Headroom 1.83m (6ft)
Skippers are responsible for checking sizes and water levels.
Extent of navigation
Currently, heading south on the Montgomery Canal towards Wales, the last winding hole is at Gronwen wharf. Once you have passed through the lift bridge south of Maesbury Marsh, you will find the winding is just round the corner at Bridge 82.
Here is a list of moorings on the Montgomery Canal. Please bear in mind that those south of Gronwen are not accessible to boats from the main canal network.
- Weston Arm Leisure Area (by Bridge 70) – there is a services point with toilet, Elsan and water
- Maesbury Marsh (north of Bridge 79, opposite Navigation Inn) – there is a services area (pictured above) south of Bridge 79 with shower, water, Elsan and toilets
- Maesbury Marsh (south of Bridge 80, by Canal Central)
- Gronwen (north of Bridge 81, Crofts Mill Lift Bridge)
- Belan (below Belan bottom lock) Leisure Area
- Brithdir (south of Bridge 126) Horseshoe Pub
- Berriew (south of aqueduct) – Berriew village has a Post Office and other facilities